Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bump, Set, Spike!

Madison started volleyball this month. This has been a much welcomed change to the soccer she was playing for the last couple years. We would have to drag the whole family out to the soccer field in the middle of a Saturday to sit for hours in the HOT, HOT sun and humidity just to watch a kid who was more excited to have a break from playing to eat Cheese-its and drink Gatorade than actually play the game. Our patience grew very thin with this. Thankfully, we were able to convince her that she does not have to keep playing the same sport and that perhaps she had more talent with a different one.

She chose volleyball, and let me tell you how thrilled we are. We packed the kids up to go sit in an air-conditioned gym at the local Y to watch 40mins of girls hitting a volleyball out of bounds. Ohhhh, so much better. I could have watched paint dry as long as it was air-conditioned.

Well, Madison seems to be much, much more adept at volleyball. She serves well, and she actually got the ball in play at one point. Like I said, it was mostly girls hitting the ball out bounds, so anytime it was actually going back and forth over the net really got the crowd excited. Madison's team actually ended up winning all three rounds of play. That is the first time she has been on any kind of winning team, and she was soooo excited. We couldn't care less about winning or losing, though. All we care about it whether she enjoys the game and tries hard at it. So far, she is really making us proud.

I will post pics after her next game. Daniel was in charge of the camera, and let's just say that sitting in one spot in the bleachers and insisting the 50-200mm lens is the best choice for pictures when the court is directly in front of us did not lead to anything worth posting. When will he listen to me? The same thing happened with Ava's last birthday party.

2 comments:

  1. Hence the one lens I purchased, instead of the two! After Ava's party I just knew I need one that would do both. Except, it would probably be me that would bring the wrong lens, since I tend to be the scatterbrained one.

    I am glad Madison is liking the volleyball. I need to bring Jill to watch her sometime. I am trying to convince Jill to do some other sports. The gymnastics is killing me. I need a sport where I can't be that annoying sideline mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a much better sport for everyone. Glad she's enjoying it. Soccer wasn't Roman's thing either.

    ReplyDelete

I am always interested in hearing what my readers have to say. Don't be shy, let me hear from you.