Sunday, March 22, 2009

Working on our future

Over the past couple of months, my playgroup has established a home school co-op group for our pre-k age children to participate in for the summer. Being a part of this group has really opened my eyes to how exciting schooling my children at home could be, and how it can really create children that are interested in learning whatever they can. This has had me in full-on research mode trying to figure out if this is something I like more in theory or if it is something I can really do with our girls.

There are a few obstacles I am having to work through. First and foremost, I have been trying to get Daniel on board with the idea. I think he is really intrigued by the idea of developing our children to be thinkers instead of children that can just regurgitate information for a state exam. We are seeing a lot of the downside to public school with his daughter who is in the fifth grade. She is doing fine for the most part, but we certainly don't think she is learning at her full potential. We have very little control over that, though. His other concern is just the stigma home school education still has and if that will create any issues with college admissions down the road. Thankfully, I am finding all sorts of promising information that supports colleges desiring home school children because they are well-developed thinkers. In fact, ivy league schools are even recruiting them for that reason. I have been trying to put together information for him to read through that will help his concerns.

This does lead to the other concern Daniel has about it. We have always discussed the fact that I stay home will end once the children are all in school. We definitely could use a second income eventually to secure our financial future. So, I am trying to really put together some skills that I can use in a work at home capacity. Photography is something that has me pretty inspired at he moment. The creativity and flexibility are very appealing. I am really working on improving my photography skills in the next few years to put some kind of business together.

Looking into all of this has had me more inspired than I have been in recent years. I am trying to put together a list of goals to meet. I am also spending a great deal of time coming up with lessons for the girls. We are going to San Antonio in a couple weeks for Madison to do a school choir performance at Sea World. I have a two weeks worth of material to work on with them about sea life and the Alamo. I am really excited about it all.

I am just trying to take things one step at a time to see if this idea is right for our family. I am hoping it is the start of something wonderful for all of us. I love the idea of teaching our children in ways that work for them in particular, and that they will be exposed to the things we feel are appropriate for them at such young ages that emphasize our values. It would also be a way to really grow and bond as a family. After all, Daniel works evenings and often weekends. He would be missing out on so much time with our girls. We are very tight knit, and I want that to continue. I suppose time will tell now.

5 comments:

  1. Have you looked into magnet schools? In CA there are some great ones that teach far more than just for state tests. Montessori's are also known for their curriculum too. My mom played with the idea of homeschooling me and my sister and am so glad she didn't. I liked the socialization far more of being with other kids, but if your schools suck in your area, I get why you would want to go the other route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our district doesn't have magnet schools. The district we moved from did, but I am told iti s joke from a friend that is also homeschooling her children. She worked in the gifted and talented school and said it was still just teaching the test.

    We will be doing co-ops and other group activities, so there is still a ton of interaction with kids and the greater community. A friend of mine jokes that she doesn't get why it is called home school since they are never home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was pretty sad when I found out how downhill our old school has gone! I think it's awesome you're working toward home schooling...researching schools while house hunting has been kind of scary! I've got a friend who's having a baby this fall, I'm trying hard to butter her up to be a practice birth photography subject :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I haven't really given you my opinion on this one, because I wanted you to come to a conclusion without anyone saying anything one way or the other (not that you are easily influenced...but you know what I mean!). But now that you are obviously leaning one direction, I do have an opinion...being homeschooled myself for awhile. It's way too long, so I will call you soon.

    And you know our district is a good district, but all they care about it how they score on the TAKS. Even Jill who doesn't start TAKS until next year is already taking practice exams for the test. It drives me crazy. They are also phasing out the Horizons program from what I have been told. I am not sure what is replacing it, but it isn't what it used to be anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will make the right choice! You know what's best for your family.

    ReplyDelete

I am always interested in hearing what my readers have to say. Don't be shy, let me hear from you.